Our Participants Overview
Helio’s participant community is made up of over 750,000 individuals who are eager to provide your company with feedback.
Helio participants aren’t professional testers, just individuals willing to give you a moment of their time. They’re rewarded with micro-payments for each test they take as a small “thank you” for their efforts, though their primary motivation is to provide feedback to company’s that they may interact with on a daily basis.
In a free account, you can create a survey and choose a Targeted Audience, or request Enterprise access if you’d like a customized audience focused on attributes like behaviors and responsibilities.
With a Business or Enterprise subscription, you can use our basic Helio Participants, Targeted Helio Participants, and Advanced Audiences targeted through custom attributes.
Using Targeted Helio Participants will allow you to pinpoint participants based on their geographic and demographic information.
When you create a test with a Targeted Audience, you can target 5 different demographic categories.
- Location will depend on the amount of responses you want on your test. The majority of Helio’s participants reside in North America, with strong communities in Europe, South Asia, and South America as well. If you are in need of a more specific geographic region, we may be able to target them with an Advanced Audience.
- Gender will allow you to target your participants based on whether they self-identified as male or female. We can also source non-binary participants through an Advanced Audience.
- Age will provide you with targeting of groups between the ages of 13-17, 18-24, 25-34, 35-44, 45-54, 55-64, and 65+.
- Education allows targeting based on 4 education levels: Less than High School, High School Graduate, College Graduate, and Postgraduate.
- Income provides 3 buckets for targeting: under $40k USD per year, $40k to $100k per year, and more than $100k per year. If you need to get more specific, we can target a narrower range of income with an Advanced Audience.
Use the “Create Test” action on your Audience page to create a test with targeted Helio participants, or choose “Targeted” from the audience options on the test creation page.
If you have selected too many targeting criteria, Helio will show an error message that lets you know we don’t have enough participants in that specific demographic to fulfill your request.
If this happens, please reach out to our team and we’ll work on getting you access to the audience you need!
Using a Basic Audience in Helio will send your survey out to a group of general Helio Participants. The Basic Audience options provides you with a random sample of participants from our community, which is great for high volume surveys with widespread consumer products or ideas. Test with 200, 500, or even 1,000 participants to get the volume of feedback you need!
Use the “Create Test” action on your Audience page to begin creating a test with a Basic Audience, or choose “Basic” from the audience options on the test creation page.
Access to a more specific group of participants, just a click away! With a Business or Enterprise plan, we can work with your team to determine the type of participants you need to get feedback from.
We can target participants responsibilities, behaviors, preferences, professional roles, and almost any other attributes that your team finds interesting. Once we have alignment on who your target audience is, we’ll give you an expectation on when it will be ready and then add it to your account for you to access whenever you need
Audiences you can test with are visible on the Audiences page of your account, under the Our Participants tab. They will sit above the basic audiences you can use on the platform (Helio Participants and Targeted Helio Participants). Click the Create Test action next to any of these active audiences to start setting up a survey with those participants in mind.
After an Advanced Audience has been added to your account, use the “Create Test” action to create a test with that group, or check the “Use more than one audience” option in the top right corner to select multiple audiences you’d like to test with.
You can also choose “Advanced” from the audience selection options on a test you have already begun.
Below your active audiences, you will also find recommended audiences that can be attached to your account for testing.
If you have already reached your limit of active audiences, you will be given the option to swap audiences when you click “+ Add Audience”.
On top of our recommended audiences, we can source for completely unique groups based on new attributes that you bring to the table. If you don’t see an audience that you need, you can request an audience by reaching out to the Helio team!
Ready Made Audiences
To give you an idea of what participants you can tap into from our community, we’ve set up 50+ Advanced Audiences ready for testing right away! Visit our Audiences page on Helio to see what professional and consumer participants you can test with.
There are two types of Advanced Audiences that have been pre-set for you:
- Professional Industry Audiences – participants who work in a specific field, such as Information Technology & Services or Transportation & Hauling.
- Consumer Audiences – participants who are targeted based on their preferences and habits, such as Spotify Listeners and English Language Learners.
Each audience page in Helio will provide you with a description of the audience, example data pulled directly from our participants, and related audiences that might also be relevant to you.
If you already have a Helio subscription plan, clicking the ‘Use Audience’ action will take you directly into the Audiences page on your account so that you can add it to your active audiences. From there you can quickly set up a test with those participants. If you don’t have a subscription or an account, you’ll be given the chance to reach out to a Helio Advocate for support on getting your access upgraded.